The church of the Prophet Elijah is a typical construction comprising monastery and church. The structure is covered by a dome. In each of the northern parts there is an enclosed circular structure. In the west there is a peristyle which is used to educate students of theology and preach to the congregation in general. There are many traces of the original paintwork. It is a beautiful place, located high in the city walls. The church was the main church of a monastery built in the fourteenth century. The monastery was that of Akapnios, dedicated to Christ. The church, like many of Thessaloniki, became a mosque after the Ottoman invasion of 1430 and was restored as a place of Christian worship after the liberation of the city in 1912.