"St. Paul's Church" is a small church where something unnoticed happens amidst the bustle of Covent Garden. It's on the west side of the market, just behind the area used by mime artists, charlatans and other characters that entertain the crowd with their antics. The church was begun in 1631 with the intention of having input from the market (from the east). But the Bishop of London insisted that the altar should be in the east wall. Thus the great portico was never used and the entrance is through the western part of the church which is much more modest and more in line with the church, providing a calm and peaceful entrance to the religious building.