The temple Veliko Tarnovo Cathedral is named after the "birth of Holy Mother" and is in the neighborhood of Bolyaska, on a hill opposite the castle hill which was the capital of the former Bulgarian Empire. Earlier, in what is now the castle ruin, was the main church of the Patriarchate of Bulgaria. When the Empire collapsed, the Ottomans controlled the country, and now the church is not used. It was built by Kolio Ficheto in 1842 out of carved stone and red brick. There are four small columns at the entrance and oval windows around a knack for religious buildings. The highest part of the temple is decorated with images of Christ.