The crane is one of the symbols of the city, originally dates back to the fourteenth century. It´s present strangely shaped appearance dates back to 1442-4. It was driven manually using pulleys that could lift up to 2 tons. It measures 27 meters and had to be fully restored because of a fire in 1945. Needless to say, it had to be restored again after World War II.
Gdansk Town Hall is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city, if not the most, it's very stylish and elegant. The first thing you see is the clock that stands out from all other buildings in the street. The Museum of History of Gdansk is inside, so it's beautiful outside and inside, then beside it is the Fountain of Neptune.
It is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city. It was built for John Speymann, the mayor at the time, who was a wealthy businessman and patron of the arts and his wife. It was built before the year 1609 and was designed by Abraham van den Blocke who also designed some of the sculptures which were all placed in 1618. It is famous for its beautiful façade, which you can see in the photos. According to legend sometimes in the hallways you can see the figure Judyta's spirit that whispers "Be fair, do not be afraid of anyone." Also the building is very well maintained and clean. It seems to have been recently built. Gdansk takes good cares of the heart of its city.
Santa Maria Gate (Brama Mariacka) links the walk along the river with Mariacka Street. It was probably built in the last quarter of the fifteenth century, and is of red brick, like most buildings from that epoch in northern Poland. In 1945 it was almost destroyed, so it was rebuilt 1958-61 and now houses the Archaeological Museum and gives access to one of the most beautiful city streets.
The Big Mill is situated on an island that was formed by the river as it passes through the city of Gdansk. Today it is a lovely shopping center. Like most things in Poland, it was badly damaged after German attacks in World War 2. It was built by the Teutonic Knights in 1350, reformed and adapted in the nineteenth century in an American style, with a turbine and conveyor. In 1991 an archaeological investigation took place here, and two years later, the mall was opened.
This monument commemorates the shipyard workers that were killed in December 1970. These first movements and workers' strikes were the start of the downfall of communism. The monument is depicted by three crosses, which are really 3 anchors. It was designed by the workers themselves. Each cross weighs 42 tons and each anchor the other two. The monument is decorated with a piece of a poem written by Czeslaw Milosz.
Wyzynna Gate (or the Golden Gate) is in the center of Gdansk. This ceremonial gate was built 1612-1614 and has beautiful allegorical statues of the virtues of the city (Peace, Freedom, Wealth and Glory) on one side and Prudence and Piety on the other. It begins in Dluga street (also called Royal Route).
The Neptune Fountain from 1633 is one of the symbols of the city of Gdańsk. It represents the relationship of the city with the sea. The entire fountain was designed by Abraham van den Blocke. The magnificent gate around it was forged in 1634. One of the legends of the city says that Neptune contributed to the invention of Goldwasser, the famous liquor of Gdańsk. They say that he became angry to see people throwing coins in the fountain so he struck his trident into the water, turning the money into tiny pieces of gold that now decorate the herbal liqueur with glitter.
Between Long Market (Długi Targ) and the river, is one of the tourist attractions of Gdansk, it's impossible to be alone with a couple of monuments and buildings, everything is absolutely beautiful! It was built 1568-1571 as the official residence of the Polish monarchs and is now a museum/exhibition hall, but it was also the office of former Polish President Lech Walesa.
This beautiful white building is close to City Hall and faces the Fountain of Neptune, it's now one of the headquarters of the National Museum but was once a meeting place for city traders. Arthur's Court was founded by courtesy of the wealthy of the city, like the House of Blackheads in Riga and the Black Heads in Tallinn, the entrance prohibited artisans, guardians of the square and hired workers, only wealthy merchants and foreigners (rich of course) could enter. Like most buildings in Polish cities it was practically destroyed during World War II, but has been rebuilt.