The store at Edificio La Favorita was originally founded by two brothers from Asturias called Ramon and Angel Garcia and was the starting point of the famous store that for years was a popular meeting point for the people of Rosario. Equipped with the most modern fittings of the time, including elevators, telephone, heating, and curved glass windows, the building was designed by Arman, Dams and Todeschini in 1926 and built by the Candia and Isella Construction Company in 1929. The building still showcases the work of those visionary pioneers: it has a baroque staircase with huge vases on either side, an imposing three-story hall and a large stained glass skylight in the style of the top Parisian department stores at the time. On the top floor there are two large terraces, and the building is topped by a beautiful dome that can be spotted from afar. The main entrance on the corner has a large iron and glass canopy on which you can clearly see two figures, one of an angel and the other a female figure with the inscription "La Favorita". In its time, the company had buying offices in Madrid and Paris. Unfortunately, nowadays it's mission impossible to get permission to enter the building, which is currently occupied by the Chilean Falabella company. After a long, drawn-out process I finally managed to get hold of a couple of photos, showing the wide Baroque staircase and the stained glass skylight. Of the four existing elevators for the public, only one has been automated and the other three are out of service due to lack of elevator operators.
Dante Alighieri Cultural Association acquired, in 1967, this small Italian-style mansion dating back to the early twentieth century. It was named Casa Beatrice in memory of the woman who, according to legend, Dante Alighieri fell deeply in love with when he was only nine years old, inspiring him to write The Divine Comedy. This house offers Italian language and culture courses, both intensive and otherwise; you can take anything from one-week to year-long courses here.