In the centre of the square is a statue of the Croatian poet Petar Rendic Preradovic, sculpted by Ivan Preradovic (1818 - 1872). He was born in the village of Grabrovnica, which was part of the military border of Austria, to a Serbian Orthodox family. He was educated at the Military Academy in Wiener Neustadt, where he converted to Catholicism, and then stood out as one of the best students. There he began to write his first poems, in the German language.
During his military career, he was stationed at several posts around Austria, and over the years, gradually rose to the rank of general.