One of the most-visited places in Mendoza
Plaza España was part of the redesign of Mendoza which took place after the 1861 earthquake. It was designed in 1863, and is one of the four squares that surround the Plaza Independencia. It's had a number of names over the years, including Montevideo and Carlos Pellegrini, until finally it was given the name of Plaza España. The other squares nearby are Plaza Italia, Plaza Chile and Plaza Independencia. In 1946 it was remodeled using some materials brought from Spain, like friezes. In 1993, the decision was made to restore the 1,561 badly damaged tiles that used to show scenes from the founding of the city.