The Council of Trent
The church of Santa Maria Maggiore, in this square, was built in the fourth century on the foundations of the Roman Tridentum. It was the first seat of the diocese of Trento, since the current cathedral was at the time outside the walls. The old Romanesque three-nave church was replaced by a single nave in the sixteenth century. Historically, its most important years were between 1545 and 1563, when the famous third session of the Council of Trento was held here.