This theater is the main symbol of the city of Cienfuegos, and was declared a National Monument in 1978. It's opposite the Parque Jose Marti and was opened in 1890. It's an "Italian" theater, a horseshoe-shaped room on four levels for the audience. It's 1,892 m2 and with a capacity for 1,200 spectators. The most striking aspect of the theater (which can be visited inside) is the conservation of the original seats, boxes, scenery and ceilings with murals painted by artist Camilo Toro Salaya. Outstanding pieces of opera and dance are performed here, it is home to the Cuban Monologue Festival.