Vodnik Square was created after the earthquake of 1895 to house the marketplace, after the secondary school for girls and the school library were demolished. This market sells fresh fruit, vegetables and other provisions and is the ideal place to buy fresh food at very good prices. The market is outdoors and in the heart of the Old Town. The square is named after the monument of Slovenian poet Valentin Vodnik. Opposite the monument, there is a road leading to the castle. On the side of the square where the river runs, is the Plecnik market and the bridge of dragons. It is well worth a visit.