The church of St. Andrew is the oldest, most central and most visible building in the village of Coniston. One curious aspect of it is that it belongs to the Church of Scotland (evangelist), although it is in England. It is now fully operational and functions as a social center for the village. The present church was built in 1819 on the site of an earlier church built in the late sixteenth century by one of the most powerful families in the area - Fleming (of Dutch origin), who were benefactors of this village in the District of the Lakes. The old, traditional church, like many rural churches in England, is surrounded by a cemetery.