The Hawa Mahal or Palace and the Winds, was built in the esthete 1799 for the Swai Pratap Singh, it is a whimsical structure that adds to the rich architecture of Rajasthan. The ornate facade, an emblem of the city today, is a baroque composition with staggered windows and overhanging balconies that are covered with lattice. Although these five floors are high, there is no more than one room in the background and the walls do not exceed 20 cms wide. It is built with lime mortar, and is screened in order that the ladies that were held in the harem could watch, unseen, the bustle of the streets. From afar, the Hawa Mahal, dedicated to Krishna, seems to be the Mukut (crown) which often crowns the head of the god.