It was built by Galeazzo II Visconti from 1360 and finished five years later. More than military defense castle, it was a splendid and nice residence of the court. This destination is surroundec by the elegant courtyard. The the grand rooms ther are painted battles, hunting scenes and courtrooms, halls, arcades and lodges and there remain some significant testaments of the past. Long used as a military barracks in the '900 it was acquired by the city, restored and used as a cultural center.