Situated in Mitte neighborhood, on Oranienburger Strasse, is one of the most beautiful buildings in Berlin. Built 1859-1866 in the Moorish style, it's Germany's largest center of Jewish worship with a capacity of 3,000. A golden dome crowns the building and the façade decorations are made of brick. During the 1938 Kristallnacht (Night of Broken Glass) the synagogue was badly damaged, like during the bombing of 1943. The Nazis used it as a stable and for storage but it reopened in 1953 as the seat of the Jewish community during the communist regime of the GDR.