This palace is located in the Caricamento Square, near the harbour. It's impossible to overlook the frescoes, which date back to 1260. This building has been the headquarters of the Port Authority since 1903. It's one of the most important and famous buildings in the city.
Situated opposite the Plaza de Ferrari, Palazzo Ducale is the former headquarters of the urban magistrates. It has been renovated many times since it was built in the 12th century to the extensive restoration that took place in 1992. The outside, including a trompe l'oeil, is impressive. Currently the palace is the main venue for exhibitions and hosts concerts and conferences. Entrance to the Palazzo Ducale is free, but access to the museum (Chapel Ducale, the Grand Council, etc..) comes at a cost.
Piazza San Bernardo, a small square in the heart of the narrow streets of Genoa, dates from about 1350, when it connected the city centre to the port. On this square stands the exquisite Palazzo Salvaghi, built around 1500 by the Salvaghi, one of the oldest noble families in Genoa. The building has a black and white facade, with medieval arches, embellished by an imposing marble door with statues of wild men resting on lions (the family crest - "Salvaghi" means "savages"). It is currently a private residence. In the square, you'll also find the entrance to the Oratory of St Peter and Paul, built in 1700, and the building where Goffredo Mameli, composer of the Italian national anthem, was born in 1827. Unfortunately, it has fallen into disrepair over the years, and today there's nothing more than a commemorative plaque to mark its importance.