The basilica was built between the twelfth and sixteenth centuries and maintains valuable works like the wooden choir drawings made by Lorenzo Lotto. The church was opened in the Piazza del Duomo. The main front entrance was not originally connected to the episcopal palace. The exterior of the basilica retains the original Lombard-Romanesque architectural style. The temple is accessible by two entrances: The Giovanni da Campione (1353) and the Fontana della porta Isabello. The interior retains the original floor plan of a Greek cross, with a nave and two aisles further divided by pilasters that culminate in an apse. The decor, however, is the result of the Baroque trend of the seventeenth century. The walls are decorated with tapestries (some from Florence) and the ceilings are absolutely spectacular - They´re completely covered by paintings, borders, etc. It´s a very clear example of the baroque style. It is one of the most spectacular buildings in the center of Bergamo.