Striking and compelling
When the ancient castle of the royal family of Württemberg caught fire in 1311, the Altes Schloss was converted into the new royal residence. Between 1553 and 1518, Albert Tresch conducted a Renaissance project expansion. The current provision quadrangular, with three arched cloisters surrounding a courtyard, is due to Tresch's project. Inside the castle, there's the Württembergisches Landesmuseum, the Wurttemberg State Museum, which offers a large display of the region's art, culture and history. Curiously, the prehistory section includes, among other pieces, the tomb of the Celtic nobleman Hochdorf.