When it opened in 1804, the Parisians disapproved of this cemetery. It was in a time when bodies were often dumped in graves in large, mass quantities. The government of Louis XVIII attempted to draw attention to it in 1817 by transferring the remains of the lovers Abelard and Heloise (XII century), along with Molière and poet Jean de La Fontaine to the site. It was only after Balzac put Père Lachaise in an important scene in his 1835 novel 'Le Pere Goriot' did the cemetery became a fashionable place to buy a plot. The author's remains are now resting in the cemetery as well. Memorials of all shapes and sizes reflect the cultural diversity of the cemetery.