San Lorenzo Basilica
The Basilica of San Lorenzo is the oldest in Florence, consecrated by St. Ambrose in 393. It was rebuilt in 1490 and was first commissioned by Brunelleschi. Inside are paintings by renowned artists and it is flanked by two vestries, one on each side. The first was designed by Brunelleschi and the second by Miguel Angel. Michelangelo made the tombs of the Medici, so it is called Medici Chapel. To the left of it is the Laurentian Bibliotea, also designed by Miguel Angel at the request of the Medici family ve wanted a safe place to store large collections of books and manuscripts. Very near this Basilica is the famous San Lorenzo Market, also called the Straw Market.