In the sierra signs of ancient settlements have been discovered. One of them is near Villamartin, on Alberite farm and a dolmen there is considered to be one of the oldest in the peninsula. Experts date it from the fifth millennium BC, it must have been a huge construction effort judging by its large stones. Villamartin holiday cottages: Http://www.Toprural.Com/andalucia/cadiz/casas-rurales-villamartin_rm-es-11041.htm
It is located in the city center, on the square where the buildings are old and of historically importantance. The building occupies an entire side of the square, behind the parish of Our Lady of Virtues, around the Market and a number of historic buildings with similar architectural patterns. Just at the entrance of the Plaza's buildings modern concept. The city follows the traditional pattern of the oldest buildings in the town, recalling the Gothic-Mudejar dyed baroque exterior decoration. It is a rectangular building, divided into two floors, the upper abalconado. The structural elements are based enhanced yellow paint, conforms to the taste of Andalusian Baroque. The lower deck includes an arcade under arches, the only part of the Plaza that has this field structure. Inside is built around a central courtyard. The most interesting is the Plenary Hall.
The Market Square in Villamartin is surrounded by the most emblematic buildings of the town, including the parish church, the town hall, tourist office and the church of Sorrows, to name a few. It has some parking spaces in front but they are always busy. In this part of the city center it is very difficult to park, so it is best to park as close as possible and walk the rest of the way. This food market has been built in a traditional style of the 20th century, with exposed brick and whitewashed white canvases, in an Andalusian Baroque taste. It has segmental arches. Inside is a modern market with corridors parallel to the facade.
The shrine is located about 9 kilometers from the town of Villamartin. It consists of two buildings, a smaller and older one and another a more recent and spacious one. The Virgin is in the middle of the two and, depending on which is to be used, it can turn on itself to preside over the ceremony that is being held. On our visit we had an interesting discussion with Francisco, the former husband of Santeria, a position now held by his unmarried daughter. Francis was a cowboy in his youth. We talked about the history of the discovery of the image of the Virgin by a pastor at the top of the hill. In the new building, the windows have been made by Victor Polo, with workshop in Jerez de la Frontera.
Villamartin has a relatively recent history. records show that this county dates from about 1280, when the territories were reconquered for the Castilian crown and divided between the military and men who had actively participated in the Reconquista. There was an Arabic village that was repopulated. Recovered years later, gave Sevilla reward for the efforts to wrest Villamartin Arabic. Sevillana, then, since 1342, the town began to repopulate the working of the new mistress, Inés de Peraza. In 1503 comes the Town Charter by granting the Chapter Seville, but a kind of repentance in this regard made Sevilla and Villamartin will indulge in litigation until 1558, when the Royal Chancery of Granada ruled in favor of the people, uses Sevilla and follows the litigation until 1818 when it fails definitely in favor of the population, is considered the longest lawsuit in the history of Spain with an approximate duration of 270 years and 10 months.
This square is situated in the town of Villamartin. From it comes a side street just thirty meters up to the Plaza, is a bit tight and you have to be careful because when you enter the Plaza there is a blind stop. Fortunately the Plaza is flat. Parking is very difficult, the only possible place is in front of the Market Square but always busy. Should I follow up, ahead of the market. Upon entering the right hand square are several banks and Sorrows Church. From there comes a pedestrian street, the only population. Opposite the entrance to the Plaza is the Tourist Office, being a pedestrian side through which to circulate. On another side is the city and just beyond the parish of Our Lady of Virtues. The architecture of the buildings in the square is preserved in almost original appearance, recalling the Andalusian Baroque. Two-story farmhouse, abalconado the city, highlighting the structural elements with the classic two-tone. It is a style that embraces monumental buildings nearby even as the churches themselves. The center of the square, podium accessed by running boards, décor is historicist. Lamps, tiles and benches following the fashion of the century in the Seville area. All cultural events are still carried out in this open space. From the carnival to the celebration of religious events, only the show has moved to the suburbs because of their size.
This is a Gothic-Mudejar church dating from the sixteenth century and which was expanded in the Renaissance style. Seville architects were commissioned to highlight the importance of this church. Hence its grandiosity. It was extended by Martin Gainza, master builder of the cathedral of Seville. In the streets is little traffic and there is usually plenty of room. THE whole is on a podium, to level the slope of the street. Interestingly there is more room on the side where there is a small courtyard garden that right in front of the church, where there is a gate with steps. The temple is large but lacks a front seat, as usual. It has a Latin cross plan, according to the Gothic style, divided into three naves. The tower is at the feet, being decorated with Renaissance resources while maintaining the classic two-tone tiled Andalusian and Baroque Sevillian own world. Since the front part is really small tower and the facade do not look. This is of Hernán Ruiz II and although classical, is quite austere. The only interesting niche with the image of the patron saint, John of Astorga. Within larger altarpiece, wood, Francisco Dionisio de Ribas, with carvings of Pedro Roldán. To highlight the large number of works of art, important companies such as Mesa JUan or Juan Martinez Montanes for example.
This chapel belonged to the Franciscan Convent of the Conception. To find this chapel, it is best to go straight to the city center, in the Town Hall Square. Parking here is difficult, so it is advisable to do so where possible and then climb the rest of the way. Upon arrival at the square, the convent can be seen on thr right on a pedestrian street. There is an archway leading to a courtyard where you can find the temple entrance. It's a little newer than the other historic buildings in the square, it was built in the seventeenth century. It has a single nave with barrel vaults. The main altar and two side altars are particularly interesting. The most famous sight is a Dolorosa, sculpted in 1951 by John Barnabas Britto. The belfry was placed in the rear of the temple, for reasons of space.