has resulted in a wide range of unusual transport options. Perhaps the most outstanding is the cast iron Santa Justa lift. This national monument is a unique experience, riding in style up to pretty Largo do Carmo. Inaugurated in 1902, amazingly it is still part of the Lisbon public transport infrastructure.
THis is one of the most beautiful examples of the Manueline style of the sixteenth century. It is extensively decorated with Manueline motifs (letter M, armillary sphere, sailors capes, religious themes, niches and medallions). The side aisles of the cloister have ribbed vaults and arches, allowing views of the garden.
On the north side of Plaza del Comercio, the Arco da Rua Augusta is the start of Rua Augusta, the most important street of the Baixa. The Triumphal Arch da Rua Augusta was designed by architect Santos de Carvalho to celebrate the rebuilding of the city after the earthquake. Construction ended in 1873 and its statues represent, among others, Vasco de Gama and the Marquis of Pombal.
Little to offer, except to go for religious reasons, souvenir shops and religious items, a number of restaurants, and the Basilica of Fatima. It has 4 museums, the Wax Museum, the Museum of the apparitions, the Museum of Sacred Art and the Museum of the life of Christ. An interesting place with a heavy religious tone.
The Citadel of Cascais is an ancient fortification whose mission was to defend the [POI = 365831] port [/ POI] city. It is now used to display some artillery, cannons among other things, outdoors. The exterior and central courtyard are open and free. It's an interesting site to visit if you're in the area.
It is also known as the Church of Santa Engracia. It is a baroque building, built between 1682 and 1966. Yes 1966. From there the Portuguese saying "as works of Santa Engracia" to refer to an endless work. It happened to have the function of Pantheon from 1916. Among people buried there are writers, presidents of the Portuguese Republic, and also are also evoked through cenotaphs characters like Luis de Camoes, Vasco de Gama or Infante D. Enrique (although not buried here). Mainly emphasizes its great dome.
La Casa dos Bicos is a palace in the Alfama district, built in 1523 by order of Brás de Albuquerque as housing. Its facade is covered with carved stones with diamond-shaped tips called "cubic", these "cubics" demonstrate a clear influence of the Italian Renaissance. He built the house after a business trip to Italy (Palazzo dei Diamanti in Ferrara). After the 1755 earthquake the building was destroyed. The Alburquerque family sold the house in 1973 and it was used as a warehouse for a while, now it's under renovation and in the future the library will host the José Saramago Foundation.
One of the mysteries of Regaleira is its "little Iniciático". It is believed that it was used in rituals of initiation. They say you can find a relationship between its 9 "floors" in the play "do Conceito Rosicrucian Cosmos". It is an underground gallery with a spiral staircase that has columns that go down to the bottom of the well. Each "floor" of the ladder is 15 degrees and each one refers to a part of Dante's Divine Comedy, the 9 circles of hell, paradise, or purgatory. At the bottom of the well is the compass made of rose marble that lies on a Templar cross where you will see the symbol of Carvalho Monteiro (the owner of the Regaleira) , and at the same time the indication of the Rosicrucian Order.
The [poi = 700 621] Alcobaça Monastery [/ poi] is in Alcobaça, Portugal, and it's considered to be one of the 7 Wonders of Portugal. It's also been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985. There are many legends about its origin and age. According to the Cistercian chronicles, the first king of Portugal, D. Alfonso Henriques San Bernardo, promised the Alcobaça a land donation if they conquered Santarém from the Moors for him. And after winning the battle he gave them the land he told them he would. The story of the city's 113 founding can be read in the beautiful tiles that decorate the Hall of Kings. Also found in it, placed halfway up the walls, polychrome clay statues of the kings of Portugal to D. Jose and were made by monks called "baristas" for engaging sculpture in clay, wood and stone. The Kings Hall enhances the whole Alcobaça Monastery, which is a corner that should not be missed if you visit Portugal.
When I visited the Alcobaça Monastery (a big diamond) in Portugal, I was impressed by its huge kitchen. They were restored in the 18th century and as a result was what we see now. It has a fireplace in the middle and a long pile on the side, which received a continuous stream to allow washing of food and kitchen utensils. Followed by the fireplace is a stone table and other batteries on the sides. Alcobaça cuisine became a "temple of gluttony", as he called William Beckford in 1794 who praised the dishes coming out of it, losing the frugality of the food in the Cistercian monasteries. It is full of tile covered with a frieze ornament in blue, allowing the cleaning of the room.
The Old Town of [POI = 685681] Caldas da Rainha [/ POI] is in the middle of this beautiful town in central Portugal. It's a collection of steep, cobbled streets. Here, there are many restaurants, cafes, and shops of ceramic souvenirs. There is also a daily [POI = 685721] market [/ POI].
This 1991 memorial commemorates the feat of two great and courageous Portuguese people. This is the replica of the Fairey III-B "Santa Cruz", that made the incredible journey from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro in 1922 and immediately became heroes. Sacadura Cabral and Gago Coutinho were acclaimed in Portugal and Brazil for this fact, becoming the subject of numerous honors, such as a homage performed posthumously by the Bank of Portugal who placed a portrait on banknotes. They used a sextant as a navigation instrument that had adapted an artificial horizon and this invention revolutionized air navigation. Interestingly one of the stops they made in their route was to refuel in Las Palmas Gando. No doubt heroes.